Posts

Showing posts from March, 2012

Fixing VMWare Unity after kernel upgrade

Image
I run Fedora 16 in a VMWare VM, making use of the Unity feature to run my Linux applications on my regular desktop. After a kernel update I found that I couldn't enter Unity mode.

I tried reinstalling the VMWare tools, but that didn't help. In the end running the vmware-config-tools.pl command and then running /usr/bin/vmware-user once the installation was complete allowed me to enter into Unity mode. I have no idea why running the vmware-config-tools.pl command on its own would make any difference, but it does.

WSX turns any browser into a PC

I really like the idea of being able to work on the go. For those of us whose jobs can be performed entirely through a computer, it seems only logical with the advances in mobile computing and networking that we should be able to do that work wherever there is a half decent network connection and a tablet, ultrabook or even a smartphone.

This dream has yet to become a reality. Despite their popularity and obvious potential as work devices, tablet operating systems just don't support the apps most businesses need. And even with all the remote desktop solutions out there, it is still not easy to get a decent remote solution for all of your devices.

Remote desktops were fine when you were connecting from one single monitor system to another, but the concept of a desktop in a window really breaks down when you start mixing the number of monitors available on a system, or try to display a PC desktop on a touch screen.

There are surprisingly few ways to deliver single applications to re…

Fix "svn: access to 'whatever' forbidden" errors

I work with a few projects hosted on Sourceforge, and found myself in a situation where a project that I imported through Subclipse would not commit back to the SVN repo, and gave me the following error:


URL access forbidden for unknown reason
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: access to 'whatever' forbidden


As it turns out I had imported the repo using a HTTP URL, but you can only commit back using the HTTPS URL. (As a side note, it also appears that case inconsistencies can cause errors, even on Windows machines).

The solution was a quick find and edit command:

find . -name "entries" -print | xargs sed -i 's/http:/https:/g'